Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Quartzsite ---Slab City

Our plan was to head for Niland,CA the home of "The Slabs". A plan is only a plan! I take medicine for cholesterol every day. If it wasn't for Darcy I would never remember to take it! Low and behold I had no more to take and the nearest Wal-Mart was in Yuma....a slight detour. Only a hundred miles out of the way.Leaving Yuma on I-8 across the bottom of the Salton Sea always amazes me. We often say" Did you think California was going to look like this?" It is like we were back in Saudi again....The sand dunes are spectular...a little smaller than those in Saudi but still great. Makes me want to have a dune buggy again......Then just a little further on and fields and fields of hay.....not hay like in Maine where it is half weeds just hay....beautiful fields of hay for miles and miles. Can you imagine throwing all that hay into a wagon? One man and a truck....It is a combination tractor and flat bed truck. As the truck goes down the fields it has a pick-up chute off to the rifgt side. After picking up the bale an arm places it on the truck. When a hundred or so bales are neately piled the truck then takes it back to the pile and off loads it. The marvels of technology an corporate farms. I kept wondering where all this hay was going until we came to the largest feed lot I have ever seen. Black and white cows everywhere! We sure love meat! Enough of hay.

No comments: